Friday, July 29, 2022

My review of Long Story Short

 


TitleLong Story Short
Author: Serena Kaylor
Published On: July 26, 2022
Publisher: Wednesday Books
Source: Digital (NetGalley)
Pages: 320

Synopsis:
Growing up homeschooled in Berkeley, California, Beatrice Quinn is a statistical genius who has dreamed her whole life of discovering new mathematical challenges at a school like Oxford University. She always thought the hardest part would be getting in, not convincing her parents to let her go. But while math has always made sense to Beatrice, making friends is a problem she hasn’t been able to solve, so her parents are worried about sending her halfway across the world. The compromise: the Connecticut Shakespearean Summer Academy and a detailed list of teenage milestones to check off. She has six weeks to show her parents she can pull off the role of a "normal" teenager and won't spend the rest of her life hiding in a library.

Unfortunately, hearts and hormones don't follow any rules, and there is no equation for teenage interactions. When she's adopted by a group of eclectic theater kids, and immediately makes an enemy of the popular—and, annoyingly gorgeous—British son of the camp founders, she realizes that relationships are trickier than calculus. With her future on the line, this girl genius stumbles through illicit parties, double dog dares, and more than your fair share of Shakespeare. But before the final curtain falls, will Beatrice realize that there’s more to life than she can find in the pages of a book?

In this sparkling debut from Serena Kaylor, Long Story Short is a YA rom-com about a homeschooled math genius who finds herself out of her element at a theater summer camp and learns that life—and love—can’t be lived by the (text)book.


Welcome to Day 3 of my Review Spree!  Another NetGalley book here.  This book's description and cover really caught my attention.  I know, never judge a book by its cover, but there is something about a good cover that draws me in.  This just filled me with that butterfly in your stomach feeling.  This looked like something that would make me feel good.  I definitely wasn't wrong.  I guess I am a good judge.  Ok, ok...Leah, calm down.  However, I was very excited to read this one and I was also happy to know that it had not been released yet to the public.  Reading an advanced copy of a book is just so exciting to me.  It's like a secret club that only the coolest kids get invited to.  I mean it isn't wrong!!  Only the cool kids are reading all the best books these days!!  I started reading this one on July 16th and finished on the 20th.  Long Story Short was published this past Tuesday the 26th. I am definitely going to be keeping an eye out for more from Serena in the future!! 

  

My Thoughts
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐


Omg!! I absolutely loved this story. Beatrice has to be the best character ever.  A genuine self-evolution story with an enemies-to-lovers twist. I could not stop smiling throughout each page and also feel everything she felt.  I was the awkward, "smart" girl growing up, so I was definitely there in her social interactions.  However, I feel like she was much more outgoing than I could ever be, lol.  I loved the way the story progressed and the rest of the characters were just spot on.  I loved the inclusiveness and diversity of personalities used.  Kudos to you!   The way that they all come together and interact is so genuine and very sweet.  The perfect sprinkle of outgoing characters to find as friends, enemies, and love interests. Fantastic read!!  Not to mention, the story takes place at a theater camp.  Umm, yes, please!  I would highly recommend it if you are looking for a feel-good read. To me, this story contained relatable situations and real emotions that arise throughout.  Very much enjoyed this read!!  I am looking forward to seeing if Serena will continue on this story.  Do not want to have any spoilers, but I really need to know what happens next!!





So where are my theater geeks at?  Tell me if you could attend a theater camp, what play would you want to be a part of and who would you want to play?  I'm pretty sure if you know me, you would know I would 100% be a part of Hamilton. I would want to play Angelica!  Let me know in the comments below and then add Long Story Short to your TBR ASAP!!

Have a fantastic day and I will see you tomorrow with my review for 28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir by Poppy Mortimer.  You definitely do not want to miss this one!! 

Leah❤


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Pennsylvania, United States
I love to read!! :) Click on the Get To Know Me tab to learn more!!
View this profile on Instagram

Leah B (@urbestlyfe71318) • Instagram photos and videos